#1986: this compared to NULL in CarpetLib ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: rhaas | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: reopened Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Carpet | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
No, {{{ this ? cent : src->cent }}} is what the current (in master) code does and that gives the "this compared to NULL warning". The underlying issue is using a NULL this pointer to call member functions. In the case of PeriodicCarpet this happens when doing dst->copy_from(...) with a NULL dst when dst is not a local component.
I had a fix for that but it involved calling new_typed_data() when dst would otherwise be NULL. Initially the thought was that new_typed_data() may be too expensive. I am no longer so sure since transfer_from itself already creates a new gdata for its buf object all the time. I am however now working on a (not thread safe...) replacement that uses a single typed_data for all such occurrences.