#798: allow calculations in parameter assignments in parameter files --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: optional | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by eschnett):
I believe it is the wrong approach to extend Cactus with home-grown syntaxes and parsers. I wish there had been faster progress with attaching Python or Lua to Cactus, so that we could use this instead.
I do not see why there needs to be an equals sign at the beginning. There is presumably no difference between "x = 2" and "x = =2", and the statement "x = 2*y" is currently ill-defined. If anything, it would give the parser more exposure, making it correct more quickly.
The patch is good, and adds functionality that is very useful and currently missing. Please apply, with the suggestion above.
Tongue-in-cheek I want to suggest to add another feature, namely being able to call a function. This will then allow us to run a Cactus simulation to determine the value of a parameter...