#1282: Enable HDF5 compression by default in Carpet --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Carpet | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
I also agree that enabling compression is a good idea, and I go along with Ian that a compression level of 1 is almost as good as 9 and would be more conservative in terms of computation. I just wish there would be better compressions available in stock hdf5 because one argument against using gzip-compression is that compressing the uncompressed h5 files using something else later (bzip2 or xz) saves more space (but also makes the files unreadable using stock hdf5). Nevertheless, enabling compression by default is probably best.
Checksums are implemented a while now, but I don't know how widely they are used. I regularly forget to enable them. I don't see a reason against making them default too.