#1651: Problems with expansions in parameter files ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: sbrandt Type: defect | Status: accepted Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
For my money, I would actually prefer if parameters need to be defined before they are used, ie. I would prefer if {{{ a::c = a::b a::b = 12 }}} would throw an error just the same way that {{{ a::b = 12 a::b = 13 }}} throws an error. If any order is allowed then I always have to read the full parfile instead of only the top part (or hopefully just around where the reference occurs since the original assignment happened close by).
In fact {{{ a::c = a::b }}} should assign to {{{a::c}}} the default value of {{{a::b}}} as far as I am concerned. Parameters always have a value in Cactus, even when just newly created by the flesh. :-)
So I guess my preference would be for set-only-once rather than declarative and completely order independent.