#1348: simfactory doesn't support multi-core setup using setup-silent --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: eschnett Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
I agree that 'make' might not be the correct way to call 'make', but then not setting it (which is what happens without the patch) also just uses 'make', which isn't worse than 'make -j NUMBER'. If 'nice' is what is of concern, we could remove that, although I didn't come across a system which doesn't provide this. This is not about providing the perfect value for 'make'. There is usually not a good way to find that perfect value on a cluster automatically. The attempt here is to find something better than just 'make', for most but not all systems.
Concerning the number of cores I agree, however usually the number of cores on a headnode is closer to the number on the compute nodes than to 1 - which otherwise would be the default. Again, this isn't about finding the perfect value, but a better one than the current one.
Also, setup-silent isn't really meant to provide a good solution for new clusters. Work by hand is usually needed there anyway. I would expect that setup-silent is usually called for single development machines, where 'make' is usually available (and called 'make'), as well as the number of cores is the one you also use to build.