#516: Enable Vectorisation in McLachlan ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: barry.wardell | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by barry.wardell):
I agree that this should certainly be well tested before being applied.
Replying to [comment:3 eschnett]:
Instead of testing various machines I would test several architectures.
In particular we should test:
- SSE 4.1 (modern Intel)
- SSE 4a (modern AMD)
- SSE 2 (old Intel or AMD)
- [VSX (Power 7)]
- [Double Hummer (Blue Gene/P)]
I have verified that the tests pass on SSE 4.1, SSE 4a and SSE 2 machines with vectorisation enabled immediately after commit 4c04a8bc35cf7706e144fe771ba5d6c907f5a455 which was just before the recent schedule changes.
I'm not sure about the last two architectures. Without Blue Waters,
Power 7 has become much less interesting, although we still have access to such a machine at LSU. We don't use BG/P in production, and probably won't because the architecture is dated; BG/Q will be interesting.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to any machine with these architectures.
Having said this, testing on Datura, Damiana, and Kraken (with the Intel
compiler) should do the trick. We may want to throw in a system with the PGI compiler as well since that compiler needs some special casing in some regions of the code.
I have verified that the McLachan tests pass with vectorisation enabled on these three machines with the Intel compiler. I haven't yet tried with the PGI compiler.