#942: GetComponents should not use shallow clones for Git checkouts ----------------------------+----------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: eric9 Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: GetComponents | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
Comment (by barry.wardell):
I think this is a good idea. I don't see any advantage to shallow clones which is significant enough to outweigh the many disadvantages.
The only case where I can see shallow clones making a significant difference is in the ExternalLibraries where a new tarball is committed each time the library is updated. I can imagine this leading to very large repositories in the future, but if that does happen then we can cross that bridge when we get to it (for example, by not including the actual tarballs in the repository and having some mechanism for downloading them). As an example, a shallow clone of OpenSSL is 12 M while a full clone is 42M. I would consider this is to still be acceptable.