#1568: Reduce overhead of Formaline --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
Yes, I have thought about this extensively. For production simulations that end up in papers, I think you probably want the tarballs as well, just for safety. But in general use, in the case that the repositories are still available and haven't been rewritten, having the version control information is much more useful, as you can easily see which changes are present in one simulation, and you can refer to them by commit message and author, rather than by source code diff. The main problem with this is that repository information is not usually synced to the machine where the tree is built. For my own workflow, where I never modify source on the remote machine, it would be sufficient to collect the "manifest" of the source tree (i.e. repository/commit/diff info) locally and sync it across when source tree changes are synced. It could then be included in the simulation executable and output by formaline.