#942: GetComponents should not use shallow clones for Git checkouts ----------------------------+----------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: eric9 Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: GetComponents | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
I seem to remember that one of the arguments beside space was that the time to checkout a git repository was quite a bit reduced for a shallow clone compared to a full clone, but I don't have hard numbers now. In addition the old discussion was about Carpet, and Carpet doesn't use git anymore now.
ExternalLibraries are not really an issue, as 'only' two copies are checked out using svn, not the whole history.
I agree that obtaining the release using newer git versions should work (older versions are ok, even with shallow clones: something must have changed in git). If 'deep' clones are the only clean way to do that with git we will have to go that way.