#675: allow zero timelevels in STORAGE when timelevels are specified via parameter --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
True. This is what I need actually. I expect to have a global STORAGE foo[persistent_timelevels] and a SCHEDULE local STORAGE foo[temporary_timelevels] in a compute-grid-frunction-then-reduce-to-get-a -volume-integral setup (specifically variations of Tanja's TotalMass routines). Each of these calculations is wrapped inside of a GROUP with STORAGE statements attached to the group. One group contains a routine that can potentially compute two grid functions so the only way I see to not allocate storage for both grid functions when only one is needed are these zero-timelevels parameters (combined with option b. above. I am not sure if I find b. or c. less horrible).
It would still be applicable I think.
I cannot apply it myself since it affects the flesh for which I don't have write permissions. I will update the patch to include some documenation updates mentioning where parameters and explicit timelevel specification differ (a STORAGE[number] is still restricted to 1 <= number <= max_timelevels, by design).