#1229: provide downloadable tarball of ET --------------------------------------+------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit website | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
I am not so sure about dismissing xz so fast. I agree that some systems might not have that installed (queenbee for instance) - but then, some systems don't have all of svn/git installed and we usually live with the quite fine. Why? Because the system we care most about for the tarball is the development system of a user - a laptop or workstation they have control over. I am pretty sure xz is nowadays available on all Linux systems as native package - and (sorry to say that so direct) a user who doesn't know how to install new software on their own system should probably catch up on the before trying the ET. Odds are other things are missing as well, like a c++ or a fortran compiler.
On the other hand I agree - it's one more step where a new user might stumble.