#719: Mailing lists could have a link to the archived version of the message --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Other | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Changes (by rhaas):
* status: reopened => review
Comment:
Attached is a more substantial attempt. comment:5:ticket:1529 raised some issues wrt to security and unavailability of message-id. I have amended the patches to fall back to sequence number if message-id is missing (tough none of the emails in the ET mailing list are lacking a message-id right now). I have also tried to make the constructed archive path "safe". I am not concerned with funny urls appearing in the emails, since if I'd want to stick a strange URL in the mailing list, I could just send an message to the list. The bigger issue was that the previous patch would have blindly used the (user supplied) message ID to create the path for the file that archives the message. Since the archiver can overwrite web- pages this would have allowed a user to change the website content.
The attached patch tries to provide an archive_url variable that can be used in the footer. Constructing the URL cannot be done nicely since it relies on internal knowledge of the archiver (HyperArch) that is not directly accessible when constructing the footer. So I have put in code (stolen from the "correct" place) that handles our usage case. One could probably make this work more nicely, however it seems not worth the effort.