#461: Filter rules error when using rsync 2.6.9 -------------------------+-------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: blocker | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: -------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Comment (by barry.wardell):
Replying to [comment:7 eschnett]:
The patch seems fine, please apply. (I assume it's been tested.)
Yes, I tested with both 3.0.7 and 2.6.9 on my Mac, syncing to Damiana.
I'm slightly worried that checking the version number may not always be
correct, if e.g. the feature has been introduced only in rsync 3.0.1. But I guess we'll see it if this is the case.
The particular feature we're worried about was added in 3.0.0 according to the rsync changelog. Patch committed.
Does this only depend on the local rsync version, or also on the remote
version? We have no control over the remote version.
Unfortunately, yes. Both the remote and local versions of rsync need to be up-to-date. If the version on the remote machine is too old it fails with the error:
"filter rules are too modern for remote rsync."
We seem to mostly provide our own rsync on remote machines, though, don't we?