#1565: change default of IOUtil::out_save_parameters to true --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: optional | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by Kastaun):
I maintain a python based postprocessing framework which currently parses the parameter files into a python object so I can write something like par.coordbase.dx in my scripts. However, this will become increasingly difficult now that parfiles are slowly turned into some sort of turing- incomplete programming language. Also, I cannot access default values of parameters not in the parfile.
For those reasons, I would also appreciate a hdf5 file with all parameters in it. This could either be a separate file or in the datafiles. Preferably, each parameter could be an hdf5 attribute. It seems currently, "/Parameters and Global Attributes/All Parameters" is just one long string in parfile syntax, with quotation marks around strings removed, and $parfile etc already expanded. I am however confused about what parameters are included there. I compared for one of my simulations to the original parfile. Some parameters in the original file are not in the .h5, others not in the original are in the .h5. What is the rule here?