#1796: Include IllinoisGRMHD into the Toolkit, as an Arrangement ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: zachetie@… | Owner: Zachariah Etienne Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2015_11 Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: GRMHD IllinoisGRMHD ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by Zach Etienne):
My understanding, based on Ian Hinder's message to the [Users] list (Subject: Test case notes), was that tests cannot be long in duration:
"Tests should run as quickly as possible; ideally in less than one second. Longer tests are OK if this is absolutely necessary to test for regressions."
I interpret this to mean that my usual tests for correctness, which might require evolutions of order an hour long, running in parallel across machines, are disallowed in ET.
Regardless, I had already added instructions for proper correctness testing in the parameter file of my test case:
In this parameter file, I have added a code comment that outlines the basic requirements for agreement. Essentially, if a 15th significant digit random perturbation is added to the initial data (via the parameter ID_converter_ILGRMHD::random_pert = 1e-15), differences between this perturbed run and an unperturbed run after 80 iterations should appear at the 12th significant digit. Unfortunately, 80 iterations require several minutes.
Ideally, I'd like to run the test in parallel at higher resolution for at least a few hundred iterations (sound-crossing times). In addition, asking Carpet to move the grids around would be ideal, a la Eq 85 of http://arxiv.org/pdf/1007.2848.pdf. What would be the easiest way to tell Carpet to move the grids around according to such a prescription or something similar? Another thorn?