#1128: Require C99 for Cactus C thorns --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: closed Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: fixed | Keywords: --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Changes (by hinder):
* status: new => closed * resolution: => fixed
Comment:
According to http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Standards.html,
The default, if no C language dialect options are given, is -std=gnu90;
this will change to -std=gnu99 or -std=gnu11 in some future release when the C99 or C11 support is complete.
I very much want the user to be able to compile using gcc without having to specify an optionlist. Now that I check this, it looks like Cactus enables C99 plus GNU extensions if the compiler is called "gcc" or "cc":
From lib/make/known-architectures/linux: {{{ # C compiler # Set the appropriate dependency, warning, and debugging flags # Note that the defaults settings are for gcc/g++ and set by configure case `basename $CC` in # GNU gcc | cc) : ${CFLAGS='-pipe -std=gnu99'} }}}
The same applies to darwin. Assuming I am interpreting this code correctly, this is what I wanted.
For linux, the intel compiler is also invoked with C99 by default, though for darwin it looks like it is not. I'm not so worried about the intel compiler, as it will never be automatically chosen by Cactus, so the user needs to do something anyway.