#2059: SimFactory should detect the number of cores automatically --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
Well, I had already complained about it. I think that the best one would be "lscpu" and not "/usr/bin/lscpu". All systems where it existed (various Linux laptops, workstations, BW, stampede2, my macos laptop) have it in /usr/bin/lscpu.
So "yes, please change to just 'lscpu'".
For versions, ah, right. Hmm, everything has 2.6 by now which is why I had in mind that we are requiring python 2.6, I don't know if we accidentally are already using something from 2.6 or not somewhere else.
I don't have python 2.3 anymore to test this, though looking at the changes from 2.3 to 2.6 it seems that (with the exception of one line in sim-distribute.py) the code was still python 2.3 compliant. So feel free to revert my last patch. One can achieve (hopefully) the same thing using the older (now deprecated) popen2.popen3 function (https://docs.python.org/2.6/library/popen2.html) though of course it being deprecated I expect to eventually have to provide a wrapper around subprocess.Popen that emulates popen3.