#1103: simfactory download page points to outdated version --------------------------+---------------------------- Reporter: Roland Haas | Owner: Erik Schnetter Type: defect | Status: reopened Priority: minor | Milestone: ET_2013_05 Component: SimFactory | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+----------------------------
Comment (by Ian Hinder):
Really, we should get to the bottom of what's going on with the existing simfactory.org website. Someone at CCT must know something about this? Or Erik?
The redirect you mentioned would be ugly, as the user would go to simfactory.org and be redirected to simfactory.bitbucket.io, and then continue to see that URL. Better would be to point the DNS entry at that site using a CNAME record. Unfortunately, unlike github, for which this works perfectly, bitbucket does not support this, and has no plans to support it (see https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/11257/support- custom-domains-cname-for-static). Another option for static hosting that I have used is netlify. This will create a static website for free based on a git repo (both github and bitbucket are supported), and I have used them before. I just tried it out with the simfactory.bitbucket.io repo, and the result can be seen at at https://stupefied-sinoussi- ff89d6.netlify.com/simfactory2/userguide. They use randomly-generated site names by default. It took about a minute to set up. However, they support CNAMEs, so you can repoint a domain to point at their site. They also support TLS via LetsEncrypt. I have used both these features and have had no problems with them.