#1661: ExternalLibraries/PAPI does not build with gcc 4.8.2 ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: tbode | Owner: tbode Type: defect | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2014_11 Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: PAPI ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by tbode):
Upon retrospect the perl method, while more dangerous in general, is more elegant and useful in this case. For this ''specific case'' of removing/modifying a compiler flag, the danger is minimal and could be decreased by only applying the perl script on files where this issue could possibly come up (config.mk files in this case's scheme as I see it):
{{{find . -name config.mk -print | xargs perl -pi -e 's/-Werror//g'}}}
This would leave any changelogs alone (though comments in the mk files could be modified) and be more likely to not require modification between PAPI version updates. I would make more of an issue if the change were more complicated, but I don't think this is particularly worth the effort for this patch. Whether you want to continue the discussion on the other perl-script based patch is beyond this ticket.