#1565: change default of IOUtil::out_save_parameters to true --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: optional | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by eschnett):
Of course such an API would be possible.
Since storing/outputting metadata requires I/O etc., I don't think it should be in the flesh; this may require e.g. XML support in the flesh etc, which can get large and complex. If you want to force people to use this infrastructure, then there are other mechanisms, e.g. the flesh could inherit from a thorn -- this would also allow people to replace the thorn with their own.
I would very much like to "force" people to use Formaline, because I am convinced it is a good thing. However, people think differently; they may get annoyed by its overhead for a feature set they don't need or understand. I thus refrain from "forcing" people, and instead try to reduce the overhead and convince people in discussions... I've seen people delete core files before asking me for help debug their crashes (because they are so large!). One cannot force people; one can only explain how some feature would help them, and try hard to ensure that the first thing people encounter isn't the overhead.