#1999: Make TerminationTrigger listen to signals ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: optional | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: TerminationTrigger ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
(mostly same comment as on bitbucket).
I think there may be a bit of confusion. TerminationTrigger calls CCTK_TerminateNext which is a clean exit and exits with exit code 0 to the OS. An Abort would be a call to CCTK_Abort or at least CCTK_Error and would return (the former for sure, the latter I'd hope so) a non-zero exit code to the OS.
The test suite checks for termination (which is a successful exit via CCTK_TerminateNext) and checks that termination was triggered via TerminationTrigger by inspecting a grid scalar that is set to 1 when TerminationTrigger requests a termination. An Abort due to an error would be caught by the test suite system as a non-zero exit code of the Cactus executable.
Having said that though, I found that I can actually test more by not skipping the call to CCTK_TerminateNext during the test suite so that the test suite also tests if CCTK_TerminateNext would actually terminate. I have pushed an updated version of the code and test suite.