#1752: GRHydro con2prim is not a projection ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: GRHydro ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
From a design and programming standpoint I agree. However, did you try this? I am sure you are aware: the idea behind using the old solution is to not only find the new solution faster since the old values are most likely close to the new ones, but I can imagine cases in which starting from "some initial value" might actually fail to converge, while it might not when using a better initial guess.
A possible, and already discussed method would be to not overwrite the initial guesses. However, for that to work one would need more memory, either to copy the old primitive guesses beforehand, or to solve into temporary storage before moving that into the primitive storage later. We used that to have the code try different con2prim routines without destroying the initial guesses some years back.