#380: AHFinderDirect failure with qc0-mclachlan.par ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2011_05 Component: Other | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
AHFinder uses this grid function (which is zero outside of the horizon non-zero inside and in a buffer zone) to find out if it is using points from within the horizon. There is a also a noshrink option to AHFinder which prevents horizons from ever shrinking (and uses the mask to detect this). From looking at it (had to because this actually caused aborts for me at one point) this seems related to excision (expansion.cc line 928).
I don't think that the mask is required for anything else (in vacuum, it is very useful to have around for hydro).
The mask is used all the time not just during initialization so I cannot turn it off. I wanted to say that there are two issues: ahmask usage during evolution where you can set find_every = coarsest_step and the one during initialization where find_every will not help.
I am happy with whatever solution is decided upon. I just looked at AHFinder's schedule.ccl and it already allocates several timelevels based on a parameter: ADMBase::metric_timelevels So setting this to 3 should solve the issue in a nice way.