#136: Don't rebuild external libraries so often --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
Replying to [comment:6 hinder]:
I think that is too complicated, and would get in the way of debugging. Is it true that using libraries from one compiler will not work with
another?
If I install HDF5 from source I'm pretty sure I have been able to use it
with
the intel compiler in the past, even though it will have built with GCC.
I found that Fortran modules (the .mod files in /include directories to be specific) are apparently compiler (and version) specific. If I compile HDF5 (+Fortran interface) using gcc 4.1.2 then I cannot use it with gcc 4.5 (the error message is something like "error parsing module description"). I assume that different compilers could also use different methods to mangle eg. Fortran routine names. I never had problems with C/C++ routines.