#1842: clang-format options not valid for versions <=3.5 ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Reporter: knarf | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: unset | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
I tried the following: {{{ --- BasedOnStyle: LLVM Standard: Cpp03 ... }}} If I read the documentation correctly, this should result in a style based on LLVM, but with the standard being changed - which I also understood you wanted?
While a quick check using this and version 3.5 works, it reveals still differences to what is currently in Carpet:
$ git diff | wc -l 178
The same using version 3.4 also works, but shows more changes:
$ git diff | wc -l 687
The same happens without .clang-format for {{{ clang-format-XXX -style="{Standard: Cpp03}" -i *.cc *.hh }}}
I don't have version 3.6 or newer.
This to me indicates that different versions of clang-format format 'llvm- style' differently. But we also cannot (easily) specify our own style, since the options necessary to do so don't seem to work across versions.
Unless I misunderstood something (perfectly possible), we either have to dictate a certain version of clang-format (difficult to enforce and might still break existing editor-build-setups), or we would have to come up with a configuration that works at least across some commonly installed versions of clang-format in a consistent manner.