#1115: 'Total time for simulation' wrong for Carpet --------------------+------------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: ET_2012_11 Component: Carpet | Version: development version Keywords: | --------------------+------------------------------------------------------- For some reason, the 'Total time for simulation' printed by Cactus is wrong when using Carpet (I say this because a similar paramter file for PUGH doesn't show this effect). It is roughly twice of what I would expect.
Reproduce: take par/static_tov.par, reduce the final_time to something more managable, e.g. 2.0 and add Cactus timer output at the end (cactus::cctk_timer_output = "full"). Run with the unix command 'time' and one process and one thread.
What I see is, e.g., 'time' reporting 2m29.615s => 150s, 'Total time for CCTK_EVOL' (by far largest chunk) 121.2, but 'Total time for simulation' 296.0. I don't see any noticeable startup or shutdown delays. I would expect the 'total' time to be about half of what it shows to be. I confirmed (by using 'top' that this is indeed only using one thread).