#1850: Severe performance problem on Stampede -------------------------+-------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: defect | Status: confirmed Priority: major | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: -------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Comment (by dradice@…):
I recently stumbled upon this issue while running on Stampede with ET_2015_11. I do not use simfactory, I am not setting the KMP_AFFINITY environment variable, and I am using OpenMPI instead of mvapich.
I should also mention that I do not see this problem with ET_2014_11, even when using the same optionlist, thornlist, and runscripts. I tried running both with and without the "tacc_affinity" wrapper that TACC recommends to use for hybrid OpenMP/MPI jobs and I see no difference. The only solution is to activate the "SystemTopology" thorn.
I do not think that this issue should be really considered as a simfactory bug. The issue is clearly somewhere else. Would it make sense to have SystemTopology always active? Is there a reason why I would want to run without it?