#871: Use SQLite as Formaline back-end ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
I am not doing anything with the Formaline output other than looking at it. I am speaking out of my experience when Firefox switched from storing cookies in a plain text file to storing them in an sqlite database (and I wanted to transfer cookies from firefox to wget). Yes the tools are in principle available but they are still harder to learn than an editor or a set of perl/awk/python regular expressions to extract a single item. Doing large amounts of data manipulation might be quite different. Jus speaking for myself: I have no experience at all using sqlite (either its command line tools or SQL itself) but feel confident parsing even moderately complicated ascii files with tools I feel comfortable with. So my point was not so much as to what is technically better (a structured database clearly beats an unstructured ASCII file) but more of what I myself would expect user to be able to work with. I have no real strong preference since I can just continue to more or less ignore these file the way I do right now :-)