#1173: ExternalLibraries build environment problems ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: defect | Status: review Priority: major | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: zlib hwloc ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
One could use NO_BUILD in any case where the autodetection fails. This could be, for example, if the library is installed in a system location for which the linker has been correctly configured but is not one of the locations that the library-thorn writer thought of. For example, in Ubuntu, I found that libraries were installed in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu rather than /usr/lib.
I disagree that we want to abort if ZLIB_DIR = NO_BUILD. Currently, I set NO_BUILD because we cannot determine the correct directory, but the compiler and linker know it already. Ideally, we would probe this case by compiling and running a test program, but we don't do that yet. Linking will not necessarily fail if we don't know the location; the linker might know this itself.