#367: When a repo URL changes, GetComponents should offer more help ----------------------------+----------------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: eric9 Type: enhancement | Status: accepted Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2011_05 Component: GetComponents | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
Comment (by eric9):
I completely forgot about `svn switch`...
Another possibility for git would be to add the new URL as a dummy remote, and run `git remote update <dummy>`. In the case that the repos are completely unrelated, git will emit a warning that there are no commits shared. However, it will finish the command without throwing an error, making this approach kinda clumsy. There's no guarantee that the warning will remain going forward (or that older versions of git have it). I'm also not sure if it would catch cases where the repos share a common ancestry, but have since diverged (my guess is that it would not).
I'll have to look into the git/hg question more.