#1157: simfactory option list for Mac OSX ------------------------------+--------------------------------------------- Reporter: pf289@… | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: ------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
Replying to [comment:2 eschnett]:
Another easy fix would be to build HDF5 ourselves.
I prefer these "generic" option lists to be as simple as possible, and
to have as few requirements as possible.
I agree that we should have a "generic" option which gets people up and running. Cactus is supposed to be able to autoconfigure itself. I would rather put effort into getting that to work properly, and have it build its own libraries if the ones it finds are not appropriate. We should be able to run either without an optionlist or with a single generic one on all platforms.
I don't see the OS X optionlist in question as a "generic" optionlist; it is the optionlist that I use for my normal work on a well-defined and common platform (OS X with MacPorts). Rather than recompiling libraries every time I wipe a configuration, I would rather compile it once and have it available to the entire OS. I consider it a production configuration, and I care very much if it takes a long time to build.
I'm testing the macports modification instruction now, and will update the comments in the file as Barry suggested. After the release, we can modify the HDF5 thorn to not require C++ and Fortran support, which will allow us to use a much larger number of standard HDF5 installations.