#638: Enable symbols for backtraces --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: eschnett Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2011_10 Component: SimFactory | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
I agree that we should be careful, and in my judgement the effect of adding some additional debugging symbols should be minor, in comparison to other changes that you can imagine. Of course we cannot ever be sure, but I weighed this up against the benefit of having useful backtraces for the duration of the release, and decided it was a risk worth taking, given that we usually run all the test cases on all machines once with the final frozen version. However, I leave the decision to you.
The option -rdynamic is a compiler option - see the manual entry above. I'm not sure why we don't use the -export-dynamic flag directly with the linker. I discovered rdynamic using google over a year ago and used it, and it worked, both on gcc and intel. The "on architectures that support it" might indicate that -export-dynamic would give an error on some architectures, so maybe we are using some logic in rdynamic.