#666: have CarpetIOScalar output grid scalar directly rather than applying reductions to them --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: eschnett Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Carpet | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
Notice that I carefully said that no '''information''' was generated by reducing :-). You could always do the norm/abs etc. on the data in the output files since there is only a single scalar to consider anyway. Anyhow though, not having different behaviour for different object types is a valid concern (see below).
Yes too all the output-format improvement suggestions. I would not say that grid arrays cannot have coordinates (the sphericalsurfaces certainly could have some), but for grid scalars there simply seem to be no coordiantes at all (it's a single number).
[How do I classify this as "reject patch; back to discussion"?]
See #664 :-) Nicely demonstrates the idea behind #664.
It's funny that you would suggest going for a "fake" reduction. I had actually implemented that option first and decided it was too much of a hack :-).
Attached please find my implementation. Note that it only works for grid scalars (and maybe one element grid arrays).