#1284: Want stand-alone parameter parser --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
Erik, why do you want a parameter file parser? I currently parse the parameter file to get certain information about a simulation when I am analysing the data. However, this is not really sufficient. I don't generally have the Cactus tree which was used for the simulation, and defaults and the interpretation of parameters may have changed. Similarly, I have to re-implement the logic that Cactus uses to interpret the high-level parameters into low-level results. For my purposes, it would be better to have a more definitive set of metadata output by the simulation itself, which would include any derived values from the parameters, and maybe also computed physics quantities (See #551 for one idea of this). Much of my parameter parsing is related to finding information about the grid structure. Some of this information would already be available if you set the right parameters, but it would be helpful to have just one parameter which enabled output of a single file which contained all the simulation metadata, including the grid structure, in a format which was easy to parse. Since some things might change with time, and we would have to work out if we want this to be reflected in the metadata file.