#605: Simfactory does not find the right 'path' for symlinked cactus directories -------------------------+-------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: eschnett Type: defect | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: -------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
If you have a private key on machine A, and log in to machine B with agent-forwarding, so that you can then log in to machine C from B, then you give machine B the ability to authenticate using your private key to any other system. If machine B is compromised, this is a security vulnerability which is worse than logging into machine C directly. Note that your key itself is not compromised, as the key never leaves machine A. But the agent on machine A can be instructed by machine B to authenticate data using your private key on machine A for the duration of your session on A. This is why agent-forwarding to machines where you do not 100% trust root (or that root has been compromised) has a higher risk. I do it anyway, but only when I need to; i.e. I don't have agent- forwarding on by default, I use "-A' when I am going to need it.