#530: Change default for --num-threads --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: hinder Type: enhancement | Status: assigned Priority: major | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
Erik, you didn't miss the discussion, you only forgot about it because, as I just realize, it happened almost two years back, and you actually suggested the name of the variable. (Look for mails on Oct 19 2009 on the simfactory mailing list, specifically message id B7FFFB04-8D83-42B8-A115-754688D27F07@cct.lsu.edu) Of course, two years are a lot of time to change mind.
So, your suggestion is to set num-threads to whatever the machine database sets by default, and let users choose to overwrite this with one of the three mechanisms. I personally agree with that, but I can see that this might be inconvenient for some users. At the same time, the current situation is even more inconvenient for other users (having to remember how many threads should be used on a given machine instead of just '1' to disable openmp). This is why I agree with you.
Should we bring this again to the users list, or should we just move ahead?