#1674: Switch to OpenBLAS --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: major | Milestone: Component: Other | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
Simple isn't so much the problem. Building OpenBLAS is (hopefully) also simple. It requires build-time and disk space, and it is not clear whether it actually gives the user a benefit. In order to know that we would need to test the alternative, and we argued that this is too much hassle.
The question is more like: What is more important to you: an uncertain performance benefit (OpenBlas vs. others), or a certain build-time and -space benefit (of using installed libraries)? That is hard to answer given the (un)available information, and also depends on the use case. I rarely need a fast Lapack, and even if I do, the installed Atlas has been good enough so far. I don't know if OpenBlas would be faster in my particular case. I never had (and still don't have) a reason to try.