#217: Improve handling of nonexistent schedule groups --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: hinder | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: CST --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
Yes, I know, and that is why I said "The reason that the warning is nonfatal is that sometimes it is desirable to schedule in a group which only exists if a certain thorn is activated, as the routine would not make sense without that thorn."
However, I think that this use case is less frequent than the case of requiring the group to exist, hence I proposed making the default a fatal error, and modifying the syntax so that thorn writers could say that the scheduling of their function was only "optional" and dependent on the group actually existing. In this way, the default behaviour would be intuitive and safe for all users, and for users who need the current behaviour, it would be obvious in the schedule file that the routine might not be scheduled, as there would be an "optional" keyword there.