#1158: ExternalLibraries/HDF5 should change the defaults for HDF5_ENABLE_CXX and HDF5_ENABLE_FORTRAN to "no". ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: Type: defect | Status: confirmed Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
A related issue: the following optionlists in simfactory set HDF5_ENABLE_FORTRAN and HDF5_ENABLE_CXX to no: debian-*, fionn, raspbian, ubuntu. It seems that this makes the simfactory optionlists inconsistent, and reflects the personal needs of the users who created those optionlists. If we decide that the HDF5 thorn by default provides the Fortran and C++ bindings, then I would like the simfactory configurations of the machines to reflect that. This will have the side-effect of requiring HDF5 to be built by Cactus on those machines. Ideally, a user would be able to override such variables in their defs.local.ini file, but I don't know how to do that in simfactory. It would be good to have an option "cactusoptions = " which could be set to options to add to the optionlist.
I am thinking of new users who try to use the toolkit with codes that require Fortran bindings, and get mysterious build failures on laptops or workstations running debian or ubuntu because the default optionlists in simfactory for those operating systems are different to all others. I think it would be better for Cactus to just build the required HDF5 in that case.