#1565: change default of IOUtil::out_save_parameters to true --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: optional | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
Thanks for the pointer Erik! So, it turns out that Formaline by default outputs a lot of metadata to a file called formaline-jar.txt. In #1370, I suggested that Formaline might be used for the metadata framework, but I cautioned that this then requires people to activate it, and it might be better to have such an important feature as simulation metadata handled by the flesh so it was available in absolutely all simulation output. Formaline also, as far as I can tell, does not store "processed" metadata. I would like an API for thorns to be able to register their own metadata with this system. For example, Carpet might provide information about the actual grid structure, rather than the user having to parse this from the parameter file. Erik, would such a thing be possible?
I would very much like these features to be available for every simulation, and people tend to disable Formaline due to the time it takes during building, and the size of the source tarballs. Having SimulationTools relying on the user having activated Formaline might cause it not to work in many cases. That's why I would prefer a mandatory flesh-based mechanism.