#1847: FFTW3 fortran interface not working for system installation ----------------------+----------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: optional | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: development version Keywords: | ----------------------+----------------------------------------------------- The FFTW3 thorn is able to detect system installations, but does not add (for example) /usr/include as include path since it is a standard system include path (for C), and could collide with other libraries. This is correct.
However, some system fftw3 libraries install the fftw3.f Fortran file also in /usr/include, and expect this to be in the include path for the Fortran compiler. This, however, is not the case for all compilers (since /usr/include is meant for C headers, not Fortran), i.e., for gfortran. This could be seen as bug in the fftw3 installation, but we should provide a workaround. Right now, the FFTW3 thorn does not always provide a working interface for Fortran.
Other libraries have similar problems, so I wonder if we could provide a common workaround. We have to add these directories as -I flag to the Fortran compiler, but we must not add it to the C or C++ compilers. I don't see a good way to currently do this within Cactus. Am I right? If so: would it make sense to have Cactus look for a variable, i.e., FFTW3_FINC_DIRS, and to only add those for Fortran compilations?