#1229: provide downloadable tarball of ET --------------------------------------+------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit website | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
I am fine with removing the metadata, mostly because of incompatible version control software (svn comes to mind which bites me occasionally). I'd rather not use xz or other not as widely used compression algorithms. If possibly I'd like something that can be extracted with stock system software on Linux and OSX (Windows I don't think we need to worry given that we don't even test the ET on Windows machines). A tarball without metadata (and just gzip) is about 114MB. I expect most of our users that report bugs to have used the GetComponents script, however we will have to expect bug reports for "the tarball that was downloaded 3 months ago". GetComponents does not seem to have an option to output (for each module) which version was checked out, does it?
I appended the release name and date to the tarball name, I prefer dates over appended numbers since numbers give us no hint as to what the tarball contains. Ideally I'd like to have a way of specifying a tag name or something similar that would allow me to get the precise source code versions that are in the tarball.