#1070: EOS_Omni::poly_gamma_ini should default to poly_gamma ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: knarf Type: enhancement | Status: review Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
Replying to [comment:7 eschnett]:
Okay; this comment should definitively have been caught by code review.
The comment is funny to read (and could stay), but a real explanation needs to follow, including listing the actual constants used, their units, and their source (e.g. Wikipedia).
I just did that and attach a diff of the module file. The results change a bit (order 1-e2) which is a bit more than what I would have expected from using a slightly different solar mass.
I took the constant (and the solar mass) from http://asa.usno.navy.mil/SecK/2013/Astronomical_Constants_2013.pdf which says {{{ The IAU 2009 System of Astronomical Constants (1) as published in the Report of the IAU Working Group on Numerical Standards for Fundamental Astronomy (NSFA, 2011), (2) planetary equatorial radii, taken from the report of the IAU WG on Cartographic Coordinates and Rotational Elements: 2009 (2011), and lastly (3) other useful constants. }}} and which is in fact the primary reference on wikipedia (in the solar mass article).
For fun I also looked at thorn Constants and found that (a) it does not give a reference for its numbers and (b) its gravitational constant G=6.6732e-11 differs from the one I used 6.67428d−11 (all SI units). G is just hard to measure it seems. Using Google to look for the number used, it might have come from RNSID (http://www.gravity.phys.uwm.edu/rns/source/rns.v2.0/consts.h) which also does not seem to give a source.