#1694: try using fast fowards when accepting pull requests ------------------------------------+--------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: optional | Milestone: Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Comment (by eschnett):
Our main goal should be to keep things simple for users who provide patches, and also for maintainers who accept them.
For example, rewriting history when accepting a patch into the main repo means that the user's repo containing the original patch now has a conflicting history, forcing this user either to deal with this, or to abandon all branches containing this patch. I usually have a feature branch with my proposed submissions, and have locally already merged that branch into my master (since I want the changes). If the main repo now changes the patches, then I'll often be forced to handle spurious merge conflicts, in particular if I have several feature branches open.
If the problem you are trying to solve is visual clutter when looking at the repo history, then (a) this actually reflects the history, and (b) maybe the visual presentation can be improved. There must be others facing the same problem, and using fewer vertical lines, or using lines that are not vertical, or combining several vertical lines into thicker strings (for branches you don't care about) may be options.