#1075: Test cases with specific number of processes --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: eschnett | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: reopened Priority: major | Milestone: ET_2013_11 Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
Moving the release target again is unfortunate, I agree. It is not critical, however. The release tag should only indicate that this "should be fixed by that release".
It would be nice if issues with the test system would get more attention though. I would think they should be critical. The past showed that while most probably agree with that statement, reality tells differently. As for the next release: I don't think whatever solution we might come up with would make it in the release. There isn't enough time for it. I still think this is important enough to keep reminding ourselves.
On this specific issue: the underlying root issue is that most testsuites that set a specific number of processes run just fine on other numbers, but their output can currently not be successfully compared by Cactus. This could be fixed by either Cactus being able to compare the files, or by having processor-number-independend output files. The former was started by a student at LSU, but died after the student decided to stop working on it (undergraduate...). The latter would be nice, but didn't happen so far and especially performance implications are unclear. So, in order to pick up one or the other again in the future we should keep this ticket open - and it is important enough to keep reminding us about this embarrassing issue.