#2115: supermike II fails to compile -------------------------+-------------------------------------------------- Reporter: rhaas | Owner: Type: defect | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: SimFactory | Version: development version Resolution: | Keywords: -------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Comment (by rhaas):
No, I would not immediately say that. The code added in that commit uses (as far as I know) only C++11 and we list C++11 (at least as subset of it) as a requirement for the ET. The compiler used on supermike II defaults to use the Intel 13 compiler which is very old by now and while we request gnu++11 that particular compiler does not yet handle defaulted move constructors correctly (see https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/c0x- features-supported-by-intel-c-compiler in particular http://www.open- std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2010/n3053.html looks like it might be the only applicable but I am by no means sure given the complexity of the language in the proposals).
I think I tried to use newer compilers for a bit on supermike II and had no luck either though. I mostly dropped my efforts when realizing that I had confused supermike II and supermic (the former being LSU - HPC only while the latter is currently accessible through XSEDE).
We need / want to keep some of the commit f9cbab7bd3fd534fec2d254665ce6228f6f3ef71 namely the part that introduces the vectorized reduction operators. If that part can be nicely separated from the part that makes old compilers quit and if the part that makes compilers quit is not deemed to be performance relevant then we could / should / may want to remove only those bits.