#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no -------------------------+-------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Keywords: | -------------------------+-------------------------------------------------- I frequently find me scrolling through a lot of not necessary output from Cactus, including a lot of divider lines (___). I propose a mechanism to disable most of that output. There is currently one parameter which influences the amount of output from Cactus. If SILENT is set to 'no', Cactus provides way more output. All other values produce the usual output (including not setting it). I propose to use this existing variable to make Cactus less verbose if SILENT ist set to 'yes'. The default is 'undefined', so this would preserve the default Cactus behaviour.
The attached patch attempts to do this: it suppresses divider lines, pre- and postprocessing infos if SILENT='yes'. I don't like that name though, as this is still not really silent, as you will still see one line per compiled file (ala COMPILING /home/frank.loeffler/mcrt/src/main/Banner.c), but I don't have a better idea right now and could live with it. The other option would be to introduce another variable (e.g. BRIEF), but then BRIEF and SILENT could contradict each other.
#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by eschnett):
Yes, this is a good idea. This goes well with our current efforts to suppress unnecessary warnings from compiler output.
Instead of SILENT=undefined, I would call it SILENT=default.
#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarf):
I didn't call it 'undefined'. This is the state the variable is in if it is not set: it is not defined, so it neither matches "yes", nor "no".
#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: Type: enhancement | Status: new Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
I like this patch. Note that you need to reconfigure the configuration after applying this patch (make <configname>-reconfig) otherwise you still get some of the old messages. Instead of coming up with a different flag or a new meaning for the "SILENT" option, why not just make the new behaviour the default? I can't see any benefit in keeping the old behaviour.
#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: knarf Type: enhancement | Status: accepted Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Changes (by knarf):
* owner: => knarf * status: new => accepted
#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: knarf Type: enhancement | Status: accepted Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by knarrff@…):
Ignore - just testing the trac messages
#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: knarf Type: enhancement | Status: accepted Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by hinder):
This ticket was under discussion on the developers mailing list:
http://cactuscode.org/pipermail/developers/2011-January/006144.html
The final word was:
On 26 Jan 2011, at 20:14, Frank Loeffler wrote:
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 04:20:33PM +0100, Ian Hinder wrote: I only see the need for two levels:
- The new output format which just lists the filenames being compiled,
and is much more compact than the current format;
- Full output of the commands being executed, useful for debugging
build problems.
Currently that is all I would need. I could imagine that someone would like to have a completely silent build, for some reason. On the other hand, you could have that with a shell redirect quite easily, so I now also vote for just two levels, VERBOSE=[no]/yes.
Frank
<<
I propose that the patch be modified to implement this.
#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: knarf Type: enhancement | Status: accepted Priority: minor | Milestone: Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Comment (by eschnett):
This is a good idea.
#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: knarf Type: enhancement | Status: accepted Priority: minor | Milestone: ET_2011_05 Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Changes (by knarf):
* milestone: => ET_2011_05
#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: knarf Type: enhancement | Status: accepted Priority: minor | Milestone: ET_2011_11 Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: | Keywords: --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Changes (by knarf):
* milestone: ET_2011_05 => ET_2011_11
#131: Cactus produces way too much output with SILENT!=no --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Reporter: knarf | Owner: knarf Type: enhancement | Status: closed Priority: minor | Milestone: ET_2011_11 Component: Cactus | Version: Resolution: fixed | Keywords: --------------------------+------------------------------------------------- Changes (by knarf):
* status: accepted => closed * resolution: => fixed
trac@lists.einsteintoolkit.org