#450: Output elapsed times for test cases
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Cactus | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
To ensure that Cactus test cases don't run for too long, and to identify
those that do, we should output the run time for all test cases together
with their results.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/450>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#229: Using a nonexistent header file should lead to an error message
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: Cactus | Version:
Keywords: |
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
If I have the following in my interface.ccl,
USES INCLUDE: vectors.h
but no thorn in my thornlist provides this header file, there is no error
at compile time. Further, if I #include this file in my source file, an
empty file is included, which means that again I don't get an error. The
first indication that something is wrong is that the contents of the
header file are not available, which makes debugging the problem with the
thornlist very confusing.
I propose that the CST should emit a fatal error if one of the thorns
tries to use a header file which does not exist.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/229>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#283: Update and make CoreDoc.pdf available in the EinsteinToolkit website
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Reporter: bmundim | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit website | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
The advanced concepts document:
http://cactuscode.org/documentation/CoreDoc.pdf
should be updated and made available in the ET website, both in pdf and
html.
Does anyone know where its .tex file version is located?
Thanks,
Bruno.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/283>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#322: SimFactory metadata deleted by periodic filesystem purges
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner: mthomas
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: SimFactory | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Production filesystems are subject to periodic purges (typically on the
order of weeks or months) where data which has not been accessed recently
is deleted. This means that it is possible for some restarts of very
long-running simulations to be deleted by the system. This can be
addressed by an automated archiving system, but such a system does not
address the problem that the simulation metadata directory (currently
called SIMFACTORY) and any restarts which have not been run yet, will also
be purged. This would make it impossible to submit future restarts and
limits the number of chained restarts you can submit to the purge time of
the system.
One possibility to solve this problem would be to store a backup, or
"shadow" copy of all the simulation metadata in a non-volatile location.
This could be the user's home directory, or a "work" directory which is
not purged. The details would need to be worked out.
This is not a serious issue yet.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/322>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#163: Assertion `tl>=0 and tl<timelevels' failed error
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Reporter: azebrowski@… | Owner: eschnett
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: Carpet | Version:
Keywords: |
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
I'm currently running a Cactus simulation based off the ET mclachlan
parameter file. I have some custom thorns which force checkpointing every
iteration, and then write new parameter files. The new parameter files
are used to run specific functions from the host simulation ("spawning"),
but I'm having some problems resuming simulations.
Currently, I get this error when resuming:
INFO (Carpet): GF: rhs: 818k active, 1440k owned (+76%), 1896k total
(+32%), 328 steps/time
cactus_sim:
/home/azebrowski/Cactus/arrangements/Carpet/CarpetLib/src/th.hh:79: double
th::get_time(int, int, int) const: Assertion `tl>=0 and tl<timelevels'
failed.
[cyder:32759] *** Process received signal ***
[cyder:32759] Signal: Aborted (6)
I'm guessing there's a parameter I'm not setting properly in my child
simulation, could anyone give me a pointer to where I should be looking?
I looked for things relating to timelevels in the host/spawned parameter
files, but didn't see anything that stood out. My parameter files used
and full output are attached to this email, with the disclaimer that I
modified the spawned parameter file to run every function instead of
skipping some in an attempt to bypass any problems that could be caused by
skipping some Carpet function on accident.
I've made a bzipped tarball containing the checkpointed data from the
simulation. It contains several parameter files. The parameter file of
interest here is spawn.par, as it doesn't use any of my custom code but
still causes Cactus to abort with an error. I left the other parameter
files in on the off chance that I might need to refer to them later.
Here is the source parameter file, which creates the spawned simulation:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/ml-ahfinder-spawn.par
Here is the spawned simulation's parameter file:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/spawn.par
Here is the full checkpointed data and another copy of the spawned
parameter file:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/data.tar.bz2
Other information:
I ran the simulation using OpenMP with 12 cores to generate the
checkpointed data. I've also tried MPI, but that didn't seem to make a
difference.
Thornlist:
http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~azebrowski/ThornList
gcc:
azebrowski@cyder:~/Cactus$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu
4.4.3-4ubuntu5' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4/README.Bugs
--enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-
shared --enable-multiarch --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib
--libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.4 --program-suffix=-4.4
--enable-nls --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-plugin
--enable-objc-gc --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i486 --with-tune=generic
--enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu
--target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)
Fortran is gfortran-4.4
I'm using the Mercurial version of Carpet, and the ET development thorns.
If you need more information, please let me know.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/163>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#434: Keep track of masked-out volume in CarpetMask
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner: eschnett
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Carpet | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Keep track of the volume that is masked out by CarpetMask, and take this
volume into account when checking in CarpetReduce that the integral over
the simulation domain equals the domain volume.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/434>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#361: delta_time when setting up ID with explicit time dependence
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
Reporter: eloisa.bentivegna@… | Owner: eschnett
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Carpet | Version: ET_2010_11
Keywords: |
------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
In CallInitial, delta_time is used to calculate the time corresponding to
the different timelevels (line 399 of Carpet/src/Initialise.cc). At this
stage, though, delta_time is always equal to 1, leading to potentially
very separated initial-data slices when using init_each_timelevel and an
initial-data thorn that uses cctk_time explicitly. Should
cctkGH->cctk_delta_time be used here instead?
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/361>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#323: GetComponents overwrites thorn list
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner: eric9
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: critical | Milestone:
Component: GetComponents | Version:
Keywords: |
---------------------------+------------------------------------------------
I specified a thorn list located in the main Cactus directory.
GetComponents overwrote this thorn list with its own thorn list (the one
it generates automatically).
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/323>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#176: Test parameter files without running them
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: hinder | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Cactus | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
It would be useful to be able to check that the parameters of a run are OK
before running it. Since there can be long queue times on supercomputers,
it would be good to do this on a local machine which might not have as
much memory as is required for the full run. Currently, running the job
would cause memory exhaustion on the smaller machine.
One solution would be an additional command-line argument to Cactus
--exit-after-paramcheck which stops the run cleanly after the PARAMCHECK
Cactus bin. This is preferable to a new Cactus parameter, as it would not
require the parameter file to be modified. One could imagine this also
being potentially used by simfactory automatically when submitting a job
(though this would only work if you could run MPI executables on the head
node).
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/176>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit