#1401: misspelling ActiveThorns in parfiles results in unhelpful error message
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
Reporter: rhaas | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Cactus | Version: development version
Keywords: |
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
the attached parfile (which misspells ActiveThorns as ActiveThrons) causes
the error message:
{{{
Activating thorn Cactus...Success -> active implementation Cactus
ERROR IN PARAMETER FILE:
In rule 'file::set::par' Line=1, Column=13
ActiveThrons = "Cactus"
^
Expected one of the following characters: [ \t\r\n#:]
WARNING level 0 in thorn Cactus processor 0 host horizon.tapir.caltech.edu
(line 167 of
/mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/main/ProcessParameterDatabase.c):
-> CCTKi_SetParameterSetMask: 1 parsing errors in parameter file
WARNING level 0 in thorn Cactus processor 0 host horizon.tapir.caltech.edu
(line 167 of
/mnt/data/rhaas/postdoc/gr/Zelmani/src/main/ProcessParameterDatabase.c):
-> CCTKi_SetParameterSetMask: 1 parsing errors in parameter file
}}}
which does not provide a hint for the cause of the error.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1401>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1381: Carpet no longer has an implied sync() call after restriction
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
Reporter: rhaas | Owner: eschnett
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Carpet | Version: development version
Keywords: |
--------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
I just pushed two tests for the higher order restriction code into
CarpetProlongateTest. What I did was to generate the test data before the
commit that removes the extra sync, then save the data and apply as the
test data on top of the master branch. I also verified that indeed I get
the same restricted data across an interprocessor boundary (ie in the z
direction of the tests).
Surprisingly I actually do since in fact the schedule.ccl file in
CarpetProlongateTest does not apply boundary conditions are SYNC in
MoL_PostStep so that I should have gotten test failures.
This would seem to indicate that either (a) I don't have my test setup
correctly (always possibly) or (b) there is yet another SYNC hidden
somewhere inside of CarpetLib/Carpet.
On the other hand, the current "_rest" tests in CarpetProlongateTest now
fail for me unless I re-add the sync. Adding a dummy routine and SYNC to
MoL_PostStep which I think is the correct thing to do does not help
possibly because the SYNC implies a prolongation while a low-level sync
call does not (and which is where I see differences). This of course would
argue against (b) above.
Attached please find my code change a a plot of diffference.z.asc for
test_cc_rest_o3 before and after the change.
I do not necessarily think that this is a bug, it certainly is unexpected
though.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1381>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1363: Crash on startup in Piraha
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: blocker | Milestone: ET_2013_05
Component: Other | Version:
Keywords: |
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
I built a Cactus configuration with fewer thorns than usual, and with
assertions disabled (-DNDEBUG. This configuration does not start; it
crashes on startup with a backtrace
{{{
#0 std::_Rb_tree<void*, void*, std::_Identity<void*>, std::less<void*>,
std::allocator<void*> >::_M_insert_unique<void* const&> (this=0x0,
__v=@0x7fff5fbfd228) at locale_facets.h:1078
#1 0x000000010072e6f2 in smart_ptr<piraha::Grammar>::smart_ptr
(this=0x104b9d0d0, ptr=0x10570a5a0, array_=<value temporarily unavailable,
due to optimizations>) at stl_set.h:415
#2 0x0000000100721542 in piraha::AutoGrammar::reparserGenerator () at
AutoGrammar.cc:6
#3 0x0000000100c2ada6 in _GLOBAL__sub_I_Grammar.cc () at smart_ptr.hpp:53
#4 0x00007fff5fc13762 in
__dyld__ZN16ImageLoaderMachO16doInitializationERKN11ImageLoader11LinkContextE
()
}}}
This indicates that the failure oocurs during initialisation of a global
variable during startup. _Rb_tree points to a set or a map. This may be
caused by
{{{
extern smart_ptr<Grammar> pegGrammar;
}}}
I also see that Piraha has some code in smart_ptr.hpp that is only added
when DNEBUG is defined, and contains assert calls (!). Given that NDEBUG
disables assert, this looks like an error.
It is considered bad style to use C++ constructors to initialise global
variables; this is fragile and breaks often. I suggest instead to change
these global variables to pointers, to initialise them to NULL, and to
allocate to respective objects explicitly at run time. This is safer, as
it ensures that things are allocated in the right order.
I also just see that there is a global variables called "ptrs" in Piraha.
This is not good; please use a cctki_ prefix for all globally visible
variables and functions (or move them into a namespace).
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1363>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1291: Boundary does not check for storage
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Reporter: eschnett | Owner:
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version:
Keywords: |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
I accidentally selected a variable for a flat boundary condition (with
thorn Boundary) without storage. This led to a segfault. Instead, thorn
Boundary should output an error message or a warning.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1291>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1369: Error link doesn't work on Mac
---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Reporter: sbrandt | Owner: sbrandt
Type: defect | Status: new
Priority: major | Milestone: Cactus_4.3.0
Component: Mojave | Version:
Keywords: |
---------------------+------------------------------------------------------
Error link doesn't work on Mac
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1369>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1266: Featue request for Parity Symmetry thorn
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
Reporter: yosef@… | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: Other | Version:
Keywords: |
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
I started looking at runs with parity symmetry, that is the only
symmetry is the simultaneous reflection about x, y, and z. I think
I was able to "implement" this symmetry by changing just a handful of
lines in Rotating180 and I'm a little less sure about my changes to
carpetregrid2. I was wondering, would there be any interest in adding
this symmetry to ET?
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1266>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1384: simplify using Refluxing with MoL
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: rhaas | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: optional | Milestone:
Component: Other | Version: development version
Keywords: Refluxing |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
currently one needs to set two parameters when using Refluxing with
GRHydro only: nvars and nvars_evolved which are set to the same value. The
two different parameters allow refluxing to be used with thorns that
implement their own timestepping indedpendent of MoL.
To simplify usage in situations where only MoL is used I proposed to
introduce a new parameter nvars_not_evolved_with_MoL which defaults to
zero and to retire nvars_evolved in favor of the new parameter. This would
make MoL based simulations with only a single parameter choice possible.
Alternatively we could have a second string non_MoL_refluxing_variables
that lists the variables which have refluxing applied to them but are not
evolved with MoL.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1384>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#995: used shared memory on a node to share EOS table
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Reporter: rhaas | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: minor | Milestone:
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn | Version:
Keywords: EOS_Omni |
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
the attached patch has processes on the same node share the memory to
store the EOS table. It required a patch to the flesh to detect the shared
memory support functions in the OS.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/995>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit
#1357: import CartesianCoordiantes into ET
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Reporter: rhaas | Owner:
Type: enhancement | Status: new
Priority: optional | Milestone:
Component: Other | Version:
Keywords: |
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
CartesianCoordinates provides a minimal Llama Coordiantes interface
providing only Cartesian coordinates. Useful to run thorns that require
Llama when Llama is not available.
The thorn is currently in incoming.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.einsteintoolkit.org/ticket/1357>
Einstein Toolkit <http://einsteintoolkit.org>
The Einstein Toolkit