#2759: TwoPunctures swap_xz results in left-handed coordinate system
Reporter: Zach Etienne
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component:
Comment (by Roland Haas):
I don’t know. We generally assume people know what they are doing \(they are doing science after all, one assumes a level of care\). Outputting a warning all the time just b/c a \(documented\) parameter is being set, does not seem right.
If a warning is desired I would think a textual warning in `param.ccl` is sufficient.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2759/twopunctures-swap…
#2759: TwoPunctures swap_xz results in left-handed coordinate system
Reporter: Zach Etienne
Status: new
Milestone:
Version:
Type: bug
Priority: minor
Component:
A word of caution:
Swapping x<->z in TwoPunctures \(parameter swap\_xz = true\) results in a **non-right-handed coordinate system** \(coordinate permutation zyx\). This flips the sign of the y-component of the BH spin vectors away from what one might expect.
In BH@H \([https://github.com/nrpy/nrpy/blob/main/nrpy/infrastructures/BHaH/general\_relativity/TwoPunctures/TP\_interp.py](https://github.com/nrpy/nrpy/blob/main/nrpy/infrastructures/BHaH/general_relativity/TwoPunctures/TP_interp.py)\) I implemented a permutation xyz → zxy in TwoPunctures that maintains right-handedness, so the BHs will orbit on the zx plane instead of the xy plane. The inputs, including y-components of spin vectors, are consistent with the BHs initially orbiting on the xy plane, which is generally assumed in PN theory.
I would recommend implementing a warning in TwoPunctures when swap\_xz is enabled, to make sure the user is aware of the implications of swapping x and z.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2759/twopunctures-swap…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
The reviews are supposed to be done by next Wednesday. We can a little lenient about when the documentation is provided \(CarpetX has already made a deal with me to get it in a little late\). However, having at least one test parfile is strongly encouraged. This would go in `DNSdata/test/` and runs automatically anytime the testsuite is run.
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Michal Pirog):
Samuel, Roland,
I know I need to get that documentation.tex done, but I'm swamped with teaching right now. Can you give me a deadline to write it to keep this submission on track? I'm guessing it's ASAP, but do you need it by tonight, this weekend, or within the week?
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Liwei Ji):
I’m reading it right now. And will keep it in mind
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: open
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Changes (by Roland Haas):
status: open (was new)
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…
#2747: Inclusion of sgrid importer in Einstein Toolkit
Reporter: Samuel Cupp
Status: new
Milestone: ET_2023_11
Version:
Type: enhancement
Priority: major
Component: EinsteinToolkit thorn
Comment (by Samuel Cupp):
@{634afd8853df3c01232121fd} Currently, `DNSdata` has a README, but no `doc/documentation.tex`. That means nothing will appear for it on the website, correct?
--
Ticket URL: https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2747/inclusion-of-sgri…